Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/zaatar-chicken-with-chickpeas-artichokes-and-spinach/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Za'atar Chicken with Chickpeas, Artichokes and Spinach
2 1/2 tablespoons salted ghee, divided
15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 teaspoons ground sumac
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon Za'atar seasoning
14 oz can quartered aritchoke hearts, drained
2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoons grainy mustard
2 big handfuls torn spinach
fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
cooked white rice, for serving
- In a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet, heat 1 tablespoon ghee over medium-high heat. Add chickpeas to the skillet and season with a generous pinch salt, sumac, cumin, oregano, turmeric and garlic, toasting the chickpeas and spices for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Move chickpeas over to one side of pan and add 1/2 tablespoon ghee to the other side. Arrange chicken thighs (laid flat) in the ghee and sprinkle with half the Za'atar seasoning and a generous pinch salt.
- Brown the chicken thighs for 3 minutes before flipping and seasoning with the remaining Za'atar and another pinch salt.
- When the chicken is almost cooked through, stir in the artichoke hearts, coconut milk, lemon, and mustard. Bring to a simmer and season generously with cracked pepper. Simmer over medium for several minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and then stir in the spinach until wilted.
- Remove from heat and use a wooden spoon to break the chicken thighs up into small pieces.
- Serve with cooked rice, topped with fresh cilantro and sprinkle on additional sumac for presentation.