This Paleo, Gluten-Free and Soy-Free Pineapple Chicken and Broccoli features a quick blender pineapple sauce and easy skillet instructions. If you’re craving simple Asian flavors for a weeknight meal, you’ll love this Pineapple Chicken!
I’ve been all about the skillet meals in our house the last few weeks (hence the Turkey Stir Fry with Ginger Sauce from last week). My mom made us Asian-inspired skillets often during childhood, and when my dad traveled for work, she would sometimes order takeout from the local Chinese restaurant. What was your favorite takeout menu item as a kid? Mine definitely was the saucy chicken and broccoli in the paper box. And it inspired this healthier Paleo Pineapple Ginger Sauce in this recipe!
The Pineapple Sauce couldn’t be easier to make. Simply blend up pineapple, coconut aminos, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, and sesame oil in a blender until smooth. When the skillet ingredients are almost fully cooked, you add in the Pineapple Sauce and let it thicken. *Boom* dinner is on the table before you know it!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI
Maple syrup (optional)
MAKE IT AIP AND/OR WHOLE30
~ Eliminate the sesame oil and black pepper (for AIP)
~ Replace the sesame seeds with finely shredded unsweetened coconut (for AIP)
~ Leave out the maple syrup in the sauce
Lastly, if you love Asian flavors but are on the AIP diet or have food allergies such as gluten, soy and nuts, you’ll love the recipes in Enthused my ebook! You’ll get over 80 recipes for only $19.95 including these Asian-inspired ones below:
Mango Ginger Dressing
Vietnamese Shrimp Salad
Tamarind Veggie Stir Fry
Amazing Acorn Squash Curry
Sticky Orange Beef
Salmon and Sweet Potato Larb
Indian Butter Chicken
Turkey Teriyaki Poppers
WHAT TO SERVE THIS PINEAPPLE CHICKEN WITH:
~ You can eat this skillet on its own or serve it with a side of white rice or cauliflower rice for a low carb option
~ Steamed asparagus for extra greens veggies
~ A butter lettuce salad topped with Unbound Wellness’ Ginger Salad Dressing
- 1 cup cubed pineapple
- 6 tablespoons coconut aminos (1/3 cup + 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Pineapple Chicken and Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion, 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound chicken breast, 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 3/4 cup cubed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- for serving: white sesame seeds and sliced green onion
- In a blender, combine all the Pineapple Sauce ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil on medium heat. Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes until lightly browned but still crisp.
- Add another tablespoon coconut oil, and stir in the red onion, chicken breast, garlic and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. The broccoli should still be crisp-tender. We’re trying to avoid mushy broccoli here.
- Stir in the pineapple and Pineapple Sauce. Bring to a low boil and allow to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the pineapple to cook.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the arrowroot and water in a small bowl then stir into the skillet to thicken the sauce.
- Remove from heat when the broccoli is still a bright green but can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.