Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/gluten-free-quiche-lorraine/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Gluten Free Quiche Lorraine
2 gluten-free frozen 9-inch pie shells
8 slices thick-cut bacon
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 medium white onion, diced
8 large eggs
1 pint organic heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or whole milk
4 ounces fontina or gruyere, shredded
6 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fine cracked pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon paprika
minced chives and parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Lay the bacon slices evenly on sheet without overlapping. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crisp. Transfer to a cutting board and chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute diced onions for 6 to 8 minutes until tender and lightly browned. Stir in the chopped cooked bacon, cook for a minute, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Adjust the oven temperature to the one noted on the frozen pie crust instructions. Pre-bake the pie crust according to the package directions (usually 10 to 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the whipping cream and milk. Stir in the shredded cheese and seasonings. Finally, stir in the bacon and onions.
- Brush the pre-baked pie crusts with a bit of olive oil. Divide the mixture between the two crusts, ensuring an equal amount of cheese goes in each. Any leftovers can be poured into greased muffin cups for mini crustless quiches.
- Adjust oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake pies on center oven rack for 40 minutes, or until the center is set and they no longer jiggle. Mini crustless quiches should take 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving with minced chives and parsley.