These Seasonal Apple Crumb Muffins are moist, fluffy and include shredded apple, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla with a light crumb topping.
I have decided I cannot do a muffin without a crumb topping. I need a muffin to resemble cake as closely as possible without the frosting. The gluten-free Apple Crumb Muffins hit the spot with the warm fall flavors and light coffee cake crumble.
Gluten-Free Apple Crumb Muffin ingredients:
Baking soda and sea salt
Vanilla or almond extract
Cinnamon and ginger
I recommend making these in parchment paper muffin cups or greasing the muffin tin well with coconut oil or ghee. You can add nuts like chopped pecans or walnuts into the batter, if you’d like too!
Note on ingredients and substitutions:
Use fine milled almond flour for the best texture.
Make sure your eggs are truly room temperature. If not, the ghee will solidify during the wet ingredient mixing process.
Dairy-free? Sub coconut oil with the ghee, but be sure to measure it in a softened but not melted room temperature texture.
You can skip the crumb topping, if you’d like to keep the sugar lower in this recipe, but it really does add to this recipe’s deliciousness.
Love nuts? You can also add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans for more fall vibes and texture.
How to make Gluten-Free Apple Crumb Muffins:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, ghee, maple and vanilla or almond extract. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and then stir in the shredded apples.
3. Spoon the mixture evenly into 10 lined or greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 22 minutes until cooked through and the top is medium golden brown.
4. Let cool before enjoying at room temperature since these muffins are more on the delicate side.
Gluten-Free Apple Crumb Muffins
1 cup fine almond flour
1/3 cup arrowroot starch
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 eggs, room temperature, whisked
1/2 cup unsalted ghee or coconut oil, softened
1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 medium Gala apples, cored and shredded using food processor shredding blade
For crumb topping:
1/4 cup fine almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 10 regular-size muffin tin cups with muffin cups or grease well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, ghee, vanilla, and maple.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well mixed. Stir in the shredded apple.
- Spoon the mixture into the 10 muffin cups ensuring they reach the top of the liner or cup.
- In a small bowl, combine the crumb topping ingredients. Spoon or sprinkle evenly over each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 23 minutes. Let muffins cool completely before removing them from the tin and serving warm or room temperature.
Looking for more gluten-free baked recipes this like?