I couldn’t be more obsessed with my Instant Pot! I made this Pot Roast in less than one hour and the meat is pull apart tender and paired with perfectly cooked root veggies! It’s Paleo, AIP, Whole30 and gut-healing!
This Pot Roast recipe is an invention out of necessity. I’ve been sourcing the majority of my meat from Butcherbox for the last two years. I often choose the larger and cheaper cuts of meat because you can stretch them farther with meals. This grassfed beef chuck roast would be terrible if cooked on the stovetop. Cooked in the Instant Pot though – it becomes pull apart tender in just one hour!
My Instant Pot Pot Rot roast recipe really cuts down on the time and ingredients in a traditional roast which often contains red wine, butter and fresh herbs. I like the simplicity of dry herbs here so your chopping is limited to the vegetables and apple. I added apple, which you don’t typically find in a pot roast, for sweetness to balance out the meat and onion.
Another way I cut down the time is by pressure cooking the roast for just 50 minutes and then cutting it into large chunks which then go back in to pressure for 10 minutes with the veggies. This creates more surface area for the meat to absorb all that delicious beefy-onion liquid!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR PALEO ROT POAST:
Beef Roast – chuck or loin work best
Dried Italian Herbs
Garlic and Onion Powder
- 2 pounds beef loin roast
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup broth
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Pink Lady apple, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Place beef loin roast in Instant Pot insert with fat cap side down. Rub the dried herbs, garlic and onion, and sea salt on the meaty side of the roast. Brush balsamic on top of the meat and layer with onion slices. Pour broth around the roast.
- Seal the lid and set to cook on “Manual” for 50 minutes. When timer elapses, vent the lid and transfer the roast to a cutting board. Slice against the grain into 1-inch chunks.
- Return meat to the insert along with the vegetables and apple. Seal the lid and set to cook on “Manual” for another 10 minutes. When timer elapses, vent the lid, stir in the coconut aminos to slightly break up the onions and rutabaga to help thicken the liquid. Serve warm sprinkled with parsley.
You may also use other large cuts of beef like chuck roast.