Golden Chicken & Kale is a curry-inspired dish without the nightshade spices, dairy and grains that even your kids will love!
NUMS. I love this chicken. Next time I’m making a double batch so I can bathe my face in its golden juices for a whole week. This could easily be a one-pot meal if you’re like me and very low key about your meals. I don’t NEED a carb or 5 different veggies at every meal. I just want a nicely composed plate of protein and vegetable that compliment each other. Or is it complement? It’s not like the chicken is flirting with the kale on my plate, so maybe it is complement. Oh, look I just stopped caring… moving on.
I eat about 3-4 bunches of kale per week. I do not like collards or even swiss chard. I used to think I loved every vegetable. And then I ate a turnip. I won’t even pretend to be some nutrient superwoman who eats things she doesn’t like just because they’re good for her. I refuse to eat anything that doesn’t make my mouth happy. Honestly, I’m pretty terrible with eating organ meats except chicken livers. I don’t mind those at all especially if prepared my way.
My husband says my blog makes no sense and I just jump around from topic to topic. He’s right. This is also how I talk in person. I like to think it keeps the other person entertained, or confused, or annoyed. Probably all three at the same time. I also do this with activities and it is very hard for me to concentrate on one thing at a time. I took a medical questionnaire recently and it came back that I was glaringly afflicted with ADD. That explains a lot. It’s horrible for studying – I have to study for my licensure exam during the next couple months. I give myself breaks every 15 minutes to do something with zero purpose such as scrolling every photo of my dog in my phone or taking drawn out sips of water of which I smack my lips in between. I really am annoying, aren’t I?
Oh well. Just go on ahead and make this delicious meal (serve it over cauliflower rice or white rice to soak up all of the liquid gold) and let me know what you think!
This Indian-inspired AIP meal is a pop of flavor for your palate!
Looking for more Indian-inspired dishes!?
Check out my Curry Sweet Potatoes & Fennel!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 bunchs kale, leaves chopped and stems discarded
- Heat coconut oil in a large deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the coconut, honey, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, and sea salt. Pour over the chicken, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes to develop the flavors and tenderize the chicken.
- Transfer chicken to a plate to keep warm. Add chopped kale leaves and toss in the coconut-turmeric sauce.
- Return to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 8-10 minutes until the kale is very tender.
- Serve chicken thighs over kale with leftover sauce poured on top.