Dairy-free panna cotta is made with coconut milk making it creamy, thick and lightly sweetened then topped with a delicious lemon caramel sauce. It’s Paleo, AIP and free of nuts, dairy and eggs!
Oh boy. This Panna Cotta has got me all sorts of giddy. I love, love, love lemon. Lemon is life in my little piece of the world. My only contention with lemon-flavored desserts is when they’re too sugary. It overpowers the tartness of the lemon & I don’t want anything overpowering my lemon love.
Making a dairy-free panna cotta is quite simple! I replaced the traditional heavy cream with a light coconut milk (you can use full-fat too) pureed with a bit of white sweet potato. I tend to use white sweet potato in the vast majority of my desserts. I’m very sorry if you can’t find it. I wouldn’t recommend orange sweet potato here – the taste is too distinct. White-fleshed sweet potatoes provide a touch of sweetness, thickness and binding power to AIP and egg-free desserts.
These creamy little custards make for the perfect springtime or year-round treat! They are relatively low in sugar (especially if you choose to make them without the caramel sauce), silky smooth & super satisfying.
The Lemon Caramel sauce is really easy to make too. Making caramel is a lot of fun and can be made relatively quick with my method below. The tartness and sweetness of the caramel is absolutely gorgeous with the custard. You may also top your mini treats with some lemon zest for presentation.
Here are some other AIP dessert recipes that use white sweet potatoes:
These dairy-free coconut milk panna cottas are silky smooth, perfectly tart & paired with a dreamy lemon-flavored homemade caramel sauce!
For panna cotta::
- 1 13.5 ounce can full-fat or light coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Santa Cruz Organic Lemon Juice (or fresh-pressed)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 1/4 cup cooked and cubed white sweet potato, warm
For Lemon Caramel::
- 2/3 cup full-fat or light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Santa Cruz Organic Lemon Juice (or fresh-pressed)
- pinch sea salt
For panna cotta:
- Reserve 1 tablespoon coconut milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine remaining coconut milk, lemon juice, honey and sea salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Whisk gelatin into reserved coconut milk until frothy. Whisk in hot water until combined. Immediately spoon gelatin mixture into food processor and blend until smooth.
- Finally, add warm sweet potato the food processor and blend until very smooth ensuring no chunks remain.
- Spoon panna cotta mixture evenly into 4 small glass dishes or ramekins. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight until fully set. Spoon cooled caramel on top when ready to serve.
For Lemon Caramel:
- Combine all ingredients for caramel in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Maintain simmer for 20 minutes as you periodically stir the caramel and scrape any browned bits off the bottom and sides of the pan. Remove caramel from heat once it has reduced to a thick brown syrup that sticks to the back of a spoon.
- Transfer caramel to a small glass dish and let cool and thicken.