Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-grain-free/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Grain-Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
8-ounce box Jovial cassava elbow macaroni*
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened and unflavored
1 cup filtered water
1/4 cup grated white onion
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup freshly shredded extra-sharp cheddar
2/3 cup freshly shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup pumpkin puree*
3/4 cup Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine macaroni, almond milk, water, grated onion, sea salt, garlic, onion powder and pepper in a 2-quart glass baking dish (or 8x12'' but 9x13'' will be too large unless you 1.5x this recipe).
- Cover tightly with foil (important) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove foil from baking dish and stir in cheeses, 3 tablespoons butter, and pumpkin puree until well combined and the cheese is melted.
- In a food processor, pulse the crackers and remaining 1 tablespoon butter until finely crushed (not a fine powder - similar to panko bread crumbs). Sprinkle evenly over macaroni and cheese.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake macaroni uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice and serve while still warm.
To reheat: Warm, covered, in a 300 degree oven until the cheese bubbles.
* I recommend using this brand's cassava flour of for gluten-free you can use their rice flour pastas. I don't recommend lentil or chickpea pasta for this recipe. If you want to add more pumpkin puree for extra nutrients, increase it up to 1 cup puree.