I have been including grapefruit in my diet most days of the week recently. My intuitive eating had me craving citrus all winter and I will easily enjoy 4 mandarins or 2 grapefruit or 4 mandarins AND 2 grapefruits in one day. I quickly realized why I was craving citrus.
My digestion hasn’t been totally amazing since giving birth. I found it difficult to digest fats, especially saturated fats, my chronic constipation returned in bouts, and I was even having difficulty tolerating larger amounts of water which was leading to dehydration and more constipation.
Oddly, this last bout began suddenly on December 12th and lasted almost 2 months until I sought help. I have been seeing a colon hydrotherapist for 4 weeks now and my digestion has returned to normal. I used to see one a few years ago, intermittently, in times of need when my Hashimoto’s and leaky-gut induced constipation lasted weeks at a time, but I had never established a weekly treatment. I plan on writing an article soon on colon hydrotherapy because I rarely hear it discussed in the whole foods and natural health movements, yet it has been such a beneficial therapeutic treatment for me almost 10 years now.
Which brings me to why my body has been craving citrus, particularly grapefruits, like mad. My digestive problem was low stomach acid. Citrus, particularly grapefruit and pineapple (not a citrus fruit per se), assists digestion in multiple ways.
- First, they contain fiber which we know is vital for gut health.
- Second, pineapple contains bromelain which is an enzyme that can help break down our foods, which is important if you have low stomach acid and an impaired ability to do this on your own.
- Third, grapefruit, my colon hydrotherapist told me, can increase the acidity of your stomach leading to improved digestion and break down of food. This is particularly important to those of us with autoimmune diseases since poor digestion can exacerbate leaky gut and food allergies.
Even if you don’t have low stomach acid, this Grapefruit + Pineapple Digestive Tonic is DELIGHTFUL and a lovely way to increase your consumption of vitamin C and enzyme-rich citrus, which we can ALL benefit from!
Pineapple & Grapefruit Digestive Tonic
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup filtered water (or coconut water)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Peel and remove the pith of the grapefruit. Chop into segments.
- Blend the grapefruit segments and remaining ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and frothy. Pour and enjoy!
You may add Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides to this beverage for a hit of gut-healing collagen.