Looking for a gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free HEALTHY chocolate chip cookie? These Collagen Quinoa Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies have just the good stuff… protein, fat, nuts, pumpkin, seeds and an allergy-free mega chocolate chunk!
Give me a one bowl cookie recipe filled with functional, health-promoting foods that taste and look like a cookie and I’m SOLD. After the popularity of my Protein Breakfast Cookies, I wanted to make a more treat-like fall version with pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and CHOCOLATE.
These cookies are chock full of good stuff like…
Pumpkin Puree: adds moisture, nutrients and helps use up that can of opened pumpkin puree! The pumpkin puree replaces oil/butter in traditional cookies.
Chia Eggs: help bind the cookie together while adding moisture and chewiness – my favorite egg replace – although you can sub the chia egg for 1 whisked large egg too!
Dry Quinoa: these little sprinkles add crunch and an earthy, nutty flavor to the cookies! I used to make the most delicious millet muffins and the dry quinoa here is reminiscent of that recipe for me.
Mega Chocolate Chunks: allergy-friendly BIG ASS chocolate chunks from Enjoy Life melt into gooey pools of chocolate in almost every bite in these cookies! These chocolate chunks really take these cookies from tasting health to tasting like a real treat without any garbage ingredients!
Sunbutter: I love the flavor of sunbutter and the thickness it provides for this cookie dough. It bakes up into a heart cookie keeping this recipe filling and full of nutrients from real food!
Feel free to get a little crazy and add flaked or shredded coconut, replace the pumpkin puree with sweet potato puree, or mix in some dried mulberries, raisins or diced figs. I always want my recipes to be the basis for YOUR own individual take. Make it as written and then adjust to your taste. This is how we learn to cook/bake and become our own personal chef, creating delicious, healthy meals out of whatever is in our pantry and fridge!
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chunk Protein Cookies
1 cup + 2 tablespoons fine almond flour
1/3 cup collagen peptides, unflavored
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup sunbutter (unsweetened, roasted and salted)
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
4 tablespoons coconut sugar
¼ cup hot water
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2/3 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
2 tablespoons white quinoa (dry)
flaked sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients together. Stir in the sunbutter, pumpkin, and coconut sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hot water and chia seeds. Let sit for 5 minutes to form a gel. Mix this "chia egg" into the batter until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and dry quinoa until mixed.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto prepared baking sheet. To make even-shaped cookies, place a 3-inch biscuit cutter on top of each cookie and smooth the mixture to the edges to create a nice round cookie. Alternatively, shape the cookies with your hands into 3-inch diameter rounds to create about 6 cookies. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Bake for 17 to 18 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.