Posted by http://grazedandenthused.com/nightshade-free-ropa-vieja/
© 2017 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Nightshade-Free Ropa Vieja
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 bay leaf
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- Turn “Saute” function on your Instant Pot on Medium heat. Heat avocado oil. Saute onion for 5 minutes then add chopped garlic.
- Cook for another 2 minutes before stirring in the sea salt, cumin, pepper and turmeric. Cook the onions downs for 2 more minutes until slightly reduced.
- Add the beef, coconut aminos, apple juice and fish sauce. Set “Meat/Stew” function on to automatically pressure cook for 35 minutes.
- When timer elapses, transfer the beef to a large bowl, leaving the onions and liquid in the Instant Pot. Turn the "Saute" function back on and add the bay leaf to the pot. Allow liquid to simmer and condense to a thick sauce for the next 15 to 20 minutes keeping a close eye on it. The sauce should be thick like tomato sauce and dark red.
- Meanwhile, shred the beef with two forks and stir in the lime juice. When the sauce is ready, discard the bay leaf and stir sauce into the shredded beef. Mix in sliced olives and serve.
You may use other cuts of beef here but you may need to adjust the cooking time. See blog post for slow cooker suggestions.