1 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup organic cane sugar
2 tablespoons measure for measure gluten free flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, packed
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the coconut, cane sugar, flour, sea salt and lemon zest until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the egg whites with the vanilla extract. Beat using a hand mixer until stiff peaks form (3-4 minutes).
- Gently fold in the whipped egg whites into the coconut mixture until just combined.
- Firmly pack the macaroon mixture into a tablespoon. Transfer the macaroon to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until you have used up all the mixture. You should get about 10 cookies.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 18 minutes – rotating the pan 180 degrees halfway through the bake time – until the outside is lightly golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cookie rack to finish cooling. Serve at room temperature.