- Cookie Crust
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil (not melted)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sunbutter Caramel
- 1/3 cup coconut cream*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sunbutter (unsweetened, unsalted)
- Dark Chocolate Coating
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
For the Cookie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rectangle 3-cup glass Pyrex dish (or similar sized 7.5″x5.5″ inch glass dish) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tigernut and coconut flour. Stir in coconut oil, maple and vanilla until well combined. Press evenly into parchment lined dish.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the caramel.
For the Sunbutter Caramel
- In a small saucepan, bring coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla to a low boil over medium-low heat. Let boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Turn off the heat, stir in sunbutter and allow to bubble and thicken, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, for 3 to 5 more minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before spreading evenly on cookie crust.
- Refrigerate in baking dish for at least 2 hours until hardened, or overnight.
For Chocolate Coating:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring with a rubber spatula, until smooth and fully melted. Stir in the coconut oil.
Assemble the twix bars:
- Slice the refrigerated and hardened cookie crust with caramel into 5 to 6 slices widthwise. Slice those in half to make mini twix bars.
- Using two spoons, individually dip the bars in the melted chocolate, ensuring they’re well coated. Return to a parchment lined plate. Repeat with remaining bars and chocolate.
- Return to refrigerator to harden for another 3o to 60 minutes (you can speed this up in the freezer). Enjoy! I like these best when they’ve been allowed to sit at room temperature for a few minutes.