- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium yellow squash, peeled and diced
- 10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 13.5 ounce can coconut cream or milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, bite-size cubes
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 10 to 12 ounce bag frozen sliced okra
- for serving: minced red onion, chopped cilantro, coconut yogurt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute diced onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add diced squash, garlic and bay leaf and sauté 2 to 3 more minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in dried herbs and spices and ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Add coconut cream and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer half of the pot, including the bay leaf, to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer back to the pot along with the chicken broth and coconut vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Stir in chicken and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is opaque. Add frozen okra and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. You can cook 2 to 3 minutes longer for softer okra, depending on your preference.
- Serve warm topped with red onion, cilantro and coconut yogurt or cream.