Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/smoked-sausage-and-rice-soup/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Smoked Sausage & Rice Soup
1 package Kiolbassa organic grassfed beef sausage, sliced into ½-inch coins
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced white onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
3 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed into ½-inch pieces
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 cups chicken or beef bone broth
1 cup filtered water
½ cup coconut cream
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon apple cider or coconut vinegar
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice, cooked using your preferred method*
*make sure the rice is pre-cooked and ready to add in step 6
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook sausage over medium high for 3 minutes per side until nicely browned. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and carrots for 5 to 6 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, dried parsley, chives and salt, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bone broth, filtered water and coconut cream to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage to the pot.
- Decrease the temperature to medium-low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender but not overcooked.
- Stir in the fresh parsley, vinegar and cooked rice. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the rice to absorb liquid and thicken the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
- I prefer to cook rice in the Instant Pot using a 1:1 ratio of rice and water. In this recipe, you'll use 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice and 1 cup filtered water.