Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/paleo-tortillas-aip/
© 2017 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside a separate 8 square inch piece of parchment paper for step 3.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the warm water until well combined. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the warm water and process for 45 to 60 seconds until a wet, fluffy "dough" forms. This will not look like regular dough - it is drier and more crumbly but sticks together when pressed.
- You are going to make 6 tortillas with 3 on each baking sheet. Form 3 balls of dough, 1/4 cup each in size, on each baking sheet. Using the extra piece of parchment paper from step 1, use your hands to roll out each ball into a 1/8-inch thin, 6-inch diameter tortilla. Make sure to adequately space out your tortillas so they don't touch. Please take your time when smoothing out the dough to ensure it is even and the edges are smooth! This is important for your tortilla-enjoying experience.
- Bake tortillas for 6 minutes in preheated oven. The tortillas should be a pale off-white color and not too brown around the edges. Transfer parchment paper to countertop to allow tortillas to slightly cool. These are your soft shells.
- For hard shells: Heat small stainless steel pan over medium heat. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons beef tallow to coat bottom of pan. Use your hands to fold tortillas into the shape of a hard shell and press bottom side of shell into pan for 30 seconds until crispy. Place tortilla on side, maintaining the hard shell shape, and fry each side for 30 seconds. Let cool on paper towel lined plate before filling with your favorite taco night ingredients!