Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/paleo-picadillo-glutenfree/
© 2019 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Nightshade-Free Cuban Picadillo
- 4 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoonS ground cumin (omit for AIP!)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup butternut squash puree or pumpkin puree, canned
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 3/4 cup pitted and sliced green olives
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- In a large stainless steel skillet, cook bacon, onion and garlic over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes until the onion is tender and fragrant.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, bay leaves, and cinnamon and continue to stir for 30 seconds until toasted and fragrant.
- Crumble ground beef into skillet and season with sea salt. Cook, stirring every couple minutes, until no longer pink. Ensure you break up the ground beef into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add butternut squash, red wine, molasses, olives, and raisins to the skillet and bring to low boil over medium-heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 6 to 8 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and capers. Serve over cauliflower rice or white rice for a traditional Cuban meal.