Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/paleo-chicken-veggie-pot-pie/
© 2019 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Paleo Chicken & Veggie Pot Pie
Chicken & Veggie Pie Fillingpan>
1 tablespoon salted ghee
1 cup diced celery
1 ½ cups diced carrots
3 cups uncooked chicken, diced into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary and thyme
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon cracked pepper
3 cups white sweet potato, peeled and diced
12 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, steamed
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons cassava flour
Cassava Pie Crustpan>
1 cup cassava flour
¼ cup salted ghee, solid at room temperature
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg, whisked
- In a large pot, heat ghee over medium heat. Saute celery and carrots for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in chicken, rosemary, thyme, sea salt, marjoram, pepper and bay leaf. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove pot from heat to make cauliflower “gravy”. Set aside the bay leaf.
- Steam cauliflower until very tender. In a high-speed blender, blend cauliflower with the chicken broth and the bay leaf until very smooth.
- Transfer cauliflower “gravy” to the pot with the vegetables and chicken and bring to a low boil.
- Stir in white sweet potato and cook until just fork tender – about 8 to 10 minutes depending on the size of your dice. Stir in the 3 tablespoons of cassava flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thicken the mixture. You may only need 2 tablespoons if you like a thinner chicken pot pie filling. Stir in parsley.
- Transfer filling to a deep glass pie dish.
- Make the crust: Stir cassava flour and salted ghee together in a mixing bowl until combined. Stir in the olive oil (I find using clean hands easiest). Stir in the cold water and knead the pie dough until well mixed.
- On a parchment lined cutting board, use your hands (dipping fingertips in cool water) to press the dough into a thin round crust the same diameter as your pie dish (eyeball or measure it). The water helps the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Pick up the parchment paper and flip it carefully onto the casserole. Brush generously with whisked egg. Place in fridge while you preheat the oven to 375.
- Once oven is preheated, bake for about 30 minutes uncovered on the center oven rack. Crust should be golden and baked through. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing and serving.