Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/nightshade-free-bolognese-sauce/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Nightshade-Free Bolognese Sauce
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
8 ounces celery, diced
¼ cup finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
3 teaspoons sea salt, divided
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 cup pre-cooked and chopped beets
1 teaspoon cracked pepper, divided
3 cups beef bone broth, divided
1 13.5-ounce can pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 pounds ground beef (85 to 90% lean)
½ cup red or white wine
for serving: zoodles, spaghetti squash or gluten-free pasta, fresh basil, parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring every few minutes, until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, parsley, marjoram, and 1 teaspoon salt to the pot.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the beets with 1 cup beef broth, pumpkin, balsamic vinegar and 1 cup of the cooked vegetables. Blend until smooth and pureed.
- Add the blended sauce to the pot with the remaining veggies and bring to a simmer.
- As the veggies simmer in the sauce, brown the ground beef. In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and season with the remaining 2 teaspoons salt, fresh thyme and rosemary and remaining ½ teaspoon cracked pepper.
- Brown the beef until cooked through, breaking up with a wooden spoon into small crumbles. Add the wine to the skillet and let simmer for 5 minutes to allow alcohol to evaporate.
- Transfer the beef and any liquid from the skillet to the pot with the remaining 2 cups broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 45 to 60 minutes. Keep a close eye on the sauce, stirring to prevent sticking and burning.
- Serve with your choice of zoodles, spaghetti squash or gluten-free pasta topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.