Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/healing-chicken-soup/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Ginger Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots, 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 green plantains, peeled and sliced lengthwise and into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds pre-cooked and shredded chicken thigh or rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (more if desired)
- handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the dried parsley, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped plantains and saute for 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, cover with a fitted lid and let cook on medium-low for 10 minutes until plantains are fork tender but not mushy.
- Stir in the shredded pre-cooked chicken, butter, cider vinegar, lemon and cilantro. Simmer for a few minutes to marry flavors. Taste and add extra seasonings or lemon, if desired depending on your preferences.
- Ladle into bowls and serve warm.