Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/dairy-free-chocolate-mousse/
© 2021 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse
1 cup chilled coconut cream (see note)
1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks
1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder (depending on preference)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- In a deep mixing bowl (glass or stainless steel is best), use a hand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to whip air into 1 cup chilled coconut cream until it is fluffy and increased in volume (3 to 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks in the microwave or using a double boiler method, stirring until smooth and shiny. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon for serving.
- Stir in slightly cooled melted chocolate, 1 tablespoon cocoa, vanilla and sea salt. Whip again with hand mixer until well incorporated and fluffy. Taste and add remaining tablespoon cocoa, if you want a richer chocolate flavor.
- Spoon into serving dish and drizzle with reserved melted chocolate and serve with a square of dark chocolate.
- If you aren't serving immediately, store in the refrigerator covered up to 3 days. When ready to serve, let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes and give it another quick whip. It won't be quite as fluffy though!
Be sure to chill unopened can of full-fat coconut milk (or two) in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours. Scoop out the hardened coconut cream that rises to the top and reserve the water for another use or toss.