Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/classic-paleo-pumpkin-pie/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Classic Pumpkin Pie (Grain-Free, Paleo)
1 cup cassava flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 oz cold unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons ice water (bowl of water with ice in it)
15 oz can organic pumpkin puree
2/3 cup + 1 tbsp granulated maple sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice or ground cloves
Scant 1 cup coconut cream, from a can of refrigerated full-fat coconut milk
3 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Get your standard 9.5" glass pie dish out.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cassava flour and salt.
- Grate the cold unsalted butter using a cheese box grater using the side with the largest shredding holes.
- Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour until only small lumps remain. It will not be a smooth dough yet. Knead in the 3 tablespoons of ice water until you achieve a smooth dough. It will be dry and flaky but hold together when rolled into a ball.
- Place dough in between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out the crust into a thin circle a little less than 1/8-inch thick to fit your glass pie dish. Very carefully flip pie dish upside down on center of crust. Carefully, flip your crust into the pie dish, using the parchment paper to assist you. Use clean hands to fix any cracks. The pie dough will not break unless it was rolled too thin.
- Par-bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- For the filling: In a high-speed blender, combine all filling ingredients except the eggs and blend for 30 seconds. Add the eggs and blend for 15 seconds until fully combined.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Pour the filling into the crust and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake another 40 minutes until the center no longer jiggles. If crust starts to brown too much, gently cover it with foil.
- Let pie cool completely (6 hours is best for the custard to set) and serve sliced with diced crystallized ginger, whipped cream, a sprinkle of maple sugar and/or grated orange zest.
- 24 hours before making your pie filling - put 1 or 2 cans of coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk in the fridge to harden. Scoop out a scant cup of the coconut cream that has risen to the top of the can when ready to make your filling. I like Thai Kitchen Organic Full-Fat Coconut Milk for this recipe! Do NOT use Light Coconut Milk!