- 2 tablespoons fat of choice, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 tart apples, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons high-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons broth or water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (omit for Whole30)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, bite size pieces
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp granulated onion or onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (omit for AIP)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon fat in a large 12-inch stainless steel skillet over medium heat.
2. Sautee onion until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cabbage and garlic and sautee for 3 to 4 minutes until cabbage is browned and crisp tender. Add apples, Brussels and ½ tsp salt and sautee for 4 to 5 minutes until the apples are soft.
3. Meanwhile, whisk balsamic, broth, mustard and maple together. Pour into pan and toss to coat, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan with a lid for 2 minutes until vegetables are tender to your preference. Transfer to a large glass dish.
4. Heat remaining tablespoon fat in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breast with oregano, onion powder and remaining ½ tsp salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until browned and cooked through. Serve on top of the veggies with a drizzle of balsamic on top!