Posted by https://grazedandenthused.com/acorn-squash-gnocchi-with-garlic-brown-butter/
© 2020 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Acorn Squash Gnocchi with Garlic Brown Butter
1 cup mashed acorn squash (pre-roasted and cooled completely, skin removed)
1/2 cup cassava flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 small cloves garlic, minced
fresh thyme, sea salt and pepper for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to low boil (filled halfway with lightly salted water).
- Meanwhile, mix acorn squash, flours and salt together until very smooth.
- Roll handfuls of mixture into logs about 3/4-inch wide and slice into pieces no larger than 1-inch. Lightly press fork tongs into each gnocchi.
- Working in two batches, add gnocchi to boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes until they have floated to top (allow to cook for at least a minute once they do so). Transfer to a paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- In a large stainless steel skillet, melt butter over medium heat, stirring as it bubbles and turns a golden brown, about 3 minutes. Small flecks of brown will appear at the bottom of the pan as the milk solids separate.
- Add garlic to pan for 15 seconds (being careful not to burn it) until fragrant then add gnocchi, cooking on each side for no more than 2 minutes, until golden. Transfer gnocchi to a serving dish, sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Spoon brown butter on top and serve immediately for best texture.*
Ensure your acorn squash is cooled completely prior to making the gnocchi, or it will heat the cassava flour into a difficult to work with gummy texture.
*If you eat dairy, try sprinkling some finely grated parmesan on top for a quick melt.