Posted by http://grazedandenthused.com/paleo-vaca-frita-cuban-fried-beef-aip-whole-30/
© 2015 Grazed & Enthused. All rights reserved.
Paleo Vaca Frita
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil; divided
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the Instant Pot insert using “Saute” function. Cook down onions for 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, chop beef using a large chefs knife into large palm-sized chunks (about 6 pieces). Add beef, garlic, 2 teaspoons sea salt, and thyme to the insert and toss well. Cook beef for 1 minute per side to lightly brown.
- Pour orange juice over beef. Seal Instant Pot lid and set the manual pressure cooker timer to 25 minutes.
- Release the pressure once the time has elapsed and transfer the beef and onions to a rimmed baking sheet or cutting board to shred well with two forks. Discard the liquid in the insert.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Spread shredded beef, garlic, and onions on the bottom of the skillet. Fry for several minutes before stirring with tongs once the beef has started to brown and crisp. Sprinkle in the apple cider vinegar.
- Continue frying for anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes until the beef is crispy, sweet, and browned.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve with lime wedges, a side of cauliflower rice or white rice, and a green salad.