Breakfast! How did you grow up enjoying this meal? We mostly had breakfast cereal because mornings were rushed, and I have to say my twin sister and I were moderately obsessed with cereal up until our early twenties. I remember one time in college we both couldn’t sleep and we walked into the kitchen at the same time to have a bowl of Toasted Oatmeal Flakes. Glad those days are over.
One of the first things my husband and I bonded over was our childhood love of Cracklin’ Oat Bran, and how we never met another person that wasn’t 82 that liked it. There’s just something so comforting about sitting down with a bowl of cereal and milk. Maybe it’s pulling on the strings of nostalgia or something about the cold milk and the crunchy lightly sweetened cereal. And then we have oatmeal – I used to demolish a bowl of Instant oatmeal every morning. I topped it with cinnamon, bananas and blueberries and microwaved those little Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets – yeesh. Where the heck was my protein in the morning?
I seriously didn’t start eating protein for breakfast until I went Paleo and it squelched my blood sugar swings, so now I always include some protein at breakfast every day. Even if it’s a scoop of collagen protein in my smoothie or coffee or mug of broth. There are some mornings when I’m just not in the mood for leftover dinner for breakfast though and want something a little more familiar to my yesteryears. And now there’s a new AIP-Friendly Instant Farina that fills that void! I tried this cereal 3 times this weekend to be sure I loved it enough to recommend it!
INTRODUCING….AIP INSTANT FARINA by Pure TraditionsThis AIP Instant Breakfast Cereal is made from just 5 ingredients: coconut, tigernuts, konjac root, cinnamon and sea salt! It is a finely ground powder that you add hot liquid to (like water or coconut milk) and let sit for 2 minutes as it thickens. The less water you add, the thicker the porridge which is how I like it! It tastes like Cracklin’ Oat Bran, in fact, so I’m a huge fan! I am super impressed with the taste!My only complaint is the serving size is small, so if you want to make it a filling meal you definitely need to top it with some hearty fruit like bananas and berries. I would also serve it with a side of bacon or a protein smoothie so you are eating it with protein too.WHAT I LOVE
- Low in carbs if you prefer a lower carb diet
- High in fiber which may be helpful if you have constipation
- Unsweetened for an anti-inflammatory, low-sugar diet
- Super convenient for traveling or busy mornings
- Kid-friendly – convincingly the texture of oatmeal
- Sold by Wild Mountain Paleo which offers over 100 AIP products that after often cheaper than Amazon sells them for!
- Small serving size – I would say it’s more like 3 servings per bag rather than 6 servings as stated on the label. Still a good price at only $2.50 per serving of high quality ingredients and a convenient option! On AIP, having a few convenient options is worth its weight in gold.
- Konjac root may be irritating on a gut sensitive to fiber – it’s a small amount and is used to help thicken the porridge when liquid is added. I found it helped stimulate a bowel movement and with Hashimoto’s, constipation occurs at times, so I didn’t mind this side effect.
Warm Banana Instant Oatmeal